If you know of an Old Boy that doesn’t appear on our lists, please advise the BBC Alumni Office via (07) 3309 3513 or oca@bbc.qld.edu.au

OLD COLLEGIANS AWARDED OFFICERS (AO) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA

Name    School Year         Award Year         For Service to:    

Albert Adam Adermann                1944       1999       Australian Parliament, Community through Church of Christ and Local Government in Queensland

Peter Ronald Andrews  1961       2004       Scientific research into drug design and development of an Australian research based pharmaceutical industry

John Harris Byrne           1965       2013       Judiciary and Law as leading contributor to the education and reform and professional development and training

Richard Noel Chesterman            1962       2011       Judiciary as Judge of Supreme Court of Queensland and Community through contribution to Cancer  Council

Harvey Larey Charles Coates            1961       2005     Services to Medicine in the field of paediatric otolaryngology as a clinician and researcher to Indigenous health

Alan George Demack     1952       2000       Community through the Uniting Church in Australia and to Law through the Supreme Court of Queensland

Hugh Alexander Dunn   1942       1985       Public Service, particularly in the field of international relations and development of relations with China. *Also Rhodes Scholar

Robert William Gotterson 1966         2014     For distinguished service to the judiciary & to the law, to legal education, administration & professional standards through a range of senior roles, & to the community of QLD.

George Roderick Cooper McLeod             1950       1988       Medicine particularly in the field of surgery and the Community

Geoffrey Edmund Mitchell          1960       2002       Australian Sugar Industry in areas of industrial relations and research development and range of Queensland organisations

Arthur Edmund de Norbury Rogers         1957       2002       Accounting profession and Community through the University of Queensland and Australian Olympic Games Team Fund Appeal.

Ian Murray Russell  1951    1997    Service to industry in the areas of manufacturing, trade development & promotion of Australian Export Markets & the community.

Brian Raymond White         1959       2015       For distinguished service to business through leadership in the real estate, professional services and property industries, and to the arts as a patron, supporter and donor.

OLD COLLEGIANS AWARDED MEMBERSHIP (AM) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA                                                                                                

Name    School Year         Award Year         Service to:       

Clyde Ian Barclay              1944       2007       Building industry through improvement of training programmes for apprentices and trainees in Queensland and in executive roles

Graham Brooke      1943       1997      For service to Business and Finance &  to the Community through the administration of Public Utilities & Medical organisations in Victoria.

Alfred Paget Beattie       1935       1983       Primary Industry

Ian Roderick Carlisle   1958       1961      For significant service to medicine in the field of faciomaxillary and reconstructive surgery, to professional organisations, and to the international community.

William Edward Dalzell   1936       1988       Primary Industry, particularly grain growing and marketing

David Michael Doddrell 1962       2008       Science in the field of magnetic resonance as an academic and researcher

Peter Roderick Dornan  1960       2002       Physiotherapy in respect of sport s injuries and to the Community in offering support services for men’s health and military history

Anthony William English    1961       2006       Veterinary Service in the field of wildlife health and conservation and to the deer industry on Australia

John Alexander Fitzgerald     1948       2003       Promotion of the Olympic Movement and to the Community through a range of charitable organisations and to Journalism

Michael Anthony Harold Gardner   1957       1960      For significant service to cardio-thoracic medicine as a surgeon and teacher in Australia and overseas, and to professional medical groups.

Rodney Hall   1951       1990      For service to the Arts particularly in the field of Literature.

Robert Gurney Henzsell                1957       2008       Agriculture through plant breeding programmes to enhance sorghum yield, pest resistance and adaptation to drought stress

Francis David Hockings   1948       2007       Horticulture through commercial development of the native plant and flowers industry

David Anthony Hood      1961       2013       Environmental engineering as an educator and researcher by contributing to professional organisations and to awareness to sustainability

David Keith Jamison        1960       1997       Exceptional service as Director of Procurement, Melbourne

Ian Fergus Kemish           1978       2003       Coordinating the crisis response for immediate evacuation of Australians from Bali and assisting with victim identification

Robert Kemp           1964       1993       Exceptional service to the Royal Australian Air Force.

Geoffrey Moore King          1936       1997       For service to the book publishing industry & to the Community.

James Piele Love              1922       1994       Real Estate and Valuation profession and to the Community

Peter Spence Milne              1963       2017      significant service to primary industry particularly to the livestock sector, to animal health and bio-security programs, and to the community.

Don Leslie Moffatt            1963         2017  for service to the community of the Sunshine Coast, to aero-medical organisations, and to the horse racing industry.

Robert George Nicol       1949       1992       Business and Commerce and to the Community

Tiek Ewe Oh       1963       2010       Medicine, particularly for the development of protocols of anaesthesia and intensive care through leadership roles.

Keith Percival Outridge  1944       1975       Australian Military Forces

Hamilton Stuart Patterson           1924       1995       Medicine, particularly in fields of General Practice, Paediatrics and Preventative Medicine and the Community

Noel William Preston      1959       2004       Community by raising awareness of issues of public sector ethics and governance as an advocate for accountability and reform.

Ian Murray Russell AM   1951    1989   Service to industry in the areas of manufacturing, trade development & promotion of Australian Export Markets & the community.

Robert Russell Savage     1959     2014          For significant service to business, particularly the profession of accountancy through a range of roles, and to the community.

Lawrence Sidney Smith 1961       2004       Landscape architecture in developing major Botanic gardens through contributions to professional and community organisations

Anthony Sprent  1961            2011                 For service to the community through the promotion, design and implementation of technical solutions for people with disabilities, and to spatial science and astronomy.

John William Stewart      1953       2004       Beef Cattle Industry as contributor to bodies concerned with prevention, control and elimination of diseases and as a producer

Kenneth Hammond Warriner     1960       2007       Beef Cattle Industry in areas of breeding, export and meat processing and to rural project management

John Alan Wearne           1964       2000       Youth through the promotion of Leo Clubs, to people with disabilities through a network service of the Motor Neurone Association

Graham Douglas Webster            1940       1995       Broadcasting Media and the Community

Stanley James Wilmott  1954       1987       Media particularly to Commercial radio and television

Steven Monteith Wilson               1971       2011       Business and Financial services in Queensland and to the Community in cultural heritage, sport and social welfare

John Malcolm Wylie        1978       2007       Investment banking and financial services and to the Community through sporting and medical organisations

OLD COLLEGIANS AWARDED THE MEDAL (OAM) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA    

Name    School Year         Award Year         For Service to 

Donald Walter Astill        1937       2011       Range of Veteran’s, Sporting and Service organisations

Russell John Beazley       1942       2002       Salvation Army in the Northern Territory

Peter  John Bennett       1967       2007       Organisation of and encouragement of the employment of people with disabilities

Dugald Herbert Campbell Cameron  1954   2008 For service to the Australian beef industry through significant contributions to the establishment of national eating quality standards for beef.

Lt Col. Graeme Clark        1961       2016      for service to veterans and their families.

Grahame William Colley                1958       2001       Sugar Industry, land care and catchment management in Maroochy Shire and Community

Peter  William John Dawson        1945       1995       Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol

Frank Renfree Dingle     1958       2013       Church and Youth organisations

Michael William Fraser   1963       1999       Local Government and Community

Roderick James Gilmour               1957       2003       Local Government and Community

Ian Peter Goadby            1947       2005       Recreational fishing and conservation of endangered marine species

Guy Ronald Hamlyn-Harris           1929       1982       Community

Raymond Barrett Hartigan           1963       1983       Australian Army as Regimental Sergeant-Major with Army Apprentice School

Leslie John Hudson         1945       1988       Athletics in Queensland

William George Jameson              1942       1990       People with intellectual disabilities

Barry  George Johnson  1973       2003       Primary Industry particularly in the promotion of the horticultural export industry

Donald William Kidd        1945       1982       Fruit and Vegetable Industry

David William King           1968       1997       People with physical disabilities

Jeffrey  Denison Lee       1981       1992       Music

Neville Ross Lindsay        1951       2002       Welfare of veteransand families through War Veteran’s Homes Limited

John Henry Main              1953       1991       Music

David Claude McCarthy   1958      1995     Photography – developing codes of practice and ethics through service as National President of the Australian Institute of Professional Photographers.

Duncan John Powls McIntyre     1949       1996       Horticulture – serving on organisations supporting Fruit Growers

Ian Bruce McPhee           1960       2009       Medicine – Orthopaedic surgery, research and education

Gerald Stephen Moore 1946       2001       Administration and development of health services with the Ambulance Service

John William Palmer       1967       2007       Conservation and environment in the Gold Coast area

Kieren John Perkins        1991       1992       Swimming – Gold Medal in the 1500 metres in the 1992 Barcelona Olympic Games

Owen Watkins Powell    1937       2007       Medicine- hospital administration and support for the development of medical research

James Russell Savage     1938       1991       Support and development of children through SPELD

Wilfred James Secomb  1939       1992       Community, and through the Uniting Church of Australia

Elton Walter Staffsmith 1940       1989       Community

Robert Owen Stockwell                1951       2003       Community of Blackall through Barcoo Retiremnt Village

Hamish Andrew Turner               1984       2015      For service to business, to the tourism industry and to charitable organisations.

Roy Samuel Worfold       1934       1996       Community particularly through Communication Workshops

OLD COLLEGIANS INVOLVED IN THE COMMONWEALTH JUSTICE SYSTEM

Federal Court of Australia: 

• The Hon Justice Andrew Greenwood (1969)

Supreme Court of Queensland:

• Justice Alan Demack  AO (1952) District Court Judge and Family Court Justice before his appointment to the Supreme Court.
  • John Byrne (1995)
  • Justice Richard Chesterman (1962)
  • James Dunn (1938) from 1974 until 1983.
  • Peter Dutney QC (1972)

Judge of the Court of Appeal of Queensland:

• The Honourable Justice Bob Gotterson AO (1966)

District Court of Queensland:   

• Keith Dodds (1959) from 1986 until 2011.
  • David Reid (1968) since 2010.
  • David Searles (1964)

Supreme Court of NSW:   

• The Hon Ian Gzell QC (1959)
  • Justice Robert Hulme (1957)

British Awards:

• Dr. David Bruce Nimmo BEM M.B. B.S.(Qld), Fracp, Frcp (Glasg) (1945)
  • Ian Murray Russell OBE  1951    1982    Service to industry in the areas of manufacturing, trade development & promotion of Australian Export Markets & the community.

If you know of an Old Boy that doesn’t appear on our lists, please advise the BBC Development Office via (07) 3309 3513 or development@bbc.qld.edu.au