BBC ANZAC, Commemoration

Travis attended BBC from 1991 and was College Vice Captain in 1995. Upon leaving BBC, he joined the Australian Army in 1997. Travis graduated from the Australian Defence Force Academy in 1999, the Royal Military College – Duntroon in 2000 and was commissioned into the Royal Australian Infantry Corps. Lieutenant Colonel Gordon has served with the 6th Battalion as a Platoon Commander, and the 3rd Battalion as a Company Second-in-Command, Adjutant and Company Commander.

The majority of Travis’ staff appointments have been as a Plans Officer, first in Global Plans Branch at Headquarters Joint Operations Command and his current appointment as Staff Officer Grade One – Plans at Headquarters 1st Division / Deployable Joint Force Headquarters. Lieutenant Colonel Gordon also served as a Career Advisor within the Directorate of Officer Career Management – Army.

In the training environment, Travis served as a Platoon Commander at the School of Infantry, a Platoon Instructor on Exercise Long Look at the British Army Foundation College, a Package Master at the Royal Military College – Duntroon, and as the Senior Instructor for the All Corps Majors Course at the Officer Training Wing.

Travis has served twice on operations – first deployed to Baghdad in 2005-06 on Operation CATALYST as a Watchkeeper within Headquarters Joint Task Force 633 and then his second deployment was to Afghanistan in 2012 on Operation SLIPPER as a Mentoring Team Commander with the 3rd Battalion Task Group.

Travis has a Bachelor of Arts degree (Management and Politics double major) and a Master of Management Studies in Human Resource Management from the University of New South Wales. He graduated from the Australian Command and Staff College in 2014, receiving a Master of Military and Defence Studies from the Australian National University. Travis received a Training Commander Silver Commendation whilst a Package Master at Duntroon and the Chief of Defence Force prize for outstanding leadership at Staff College.

Travis is married to Belinda and they have two children, Griffin and Gracyn. He spends his spare time is spent largely devoted to his young family, with reading, triathlon, surfing and supporting the Wallabies occurring when permitted by his children.