The BBC Old Collegians’ Rowing Club was founded in 2016 to celebrate 100 years of rowing at the College and in November 2016, eight Old Boys from 1974 to 1990 competed at the Head of the Yarra in Melbourne. So much fun was had that the club has now grown to 25 plus BBC Old Boy rowers ranging from 2017 to 1974 finishing years. The only two provisos to join the Rowing Club are that you are a BBC Old Boy and you rowed at least one season at school.

So far this year, we have competed in the Rowing Queensland Winter Series, five races on the Brisbane River over 4.4kms, Head of the Tweed over 21kms (fastest Men’s Eight) and next on our radar is the Head of the Brisbane, a 10km turnaround race on the Brisbane River on 20 October. To finish the season, we will race our third Head of the Yarra on 24 November where over 250 eights race across a dozen age divisions from the rowing sheds, opposite Federation Square to Hawthorn Rowing Club, some 8.6kms upstream. Last year we sent two eights south and one eight finished 76th out of the 250 boats. We all enjoy the camaraderie, the spirit of Old Boys doing a sport we all loved. Some are more serious than others but we know how to have fun.

To come and have a try your rowing skills again email wade.ruffin@internode.on.net or call 0408 155 111.